The Walter Rodney Papers
The Walter Rodney Papers are available for viewing and research at the in the Archives and Special Collections of the Woodruff Library.
In 2003, the Walter Rodney Papers were donated by the Rodney family to the Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center. The Collection is the largest and most comprehensive collection of writings, speeches, correspondence, photographs and documents created by or about Walter Rodney anywhere in the world.
The Walter Rodney Foundation also maintains an up-to-date bibliography of all books, papers, journals and articles written by and about Walter Rodney.
To schedule an appointment, contact 404-978-2052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a pdf finding aid to the Papers.
The Walter Rodney Papers span the years 1960–1987, with the bulk of the collection from the period 1970-1979. The collection provides insight into Walter Rodney’s life as a scholar and an activist, primarily revealed though his writings and teaching.
- Scholarly achievements of Walter Rodney.
- Published and unpublished speeches, lectures, journal articles, book reviews, chapters in books, and drafts of books he authored.
- Employment papers, syllabi, reports, exams, student papers, and other teaching materials.
- Lectures, including “Historians and Revolutions,” “Black People in the Americas,” and “West African History in the 19th Century.”
- Letters written to Walter Rodney from students, colleagues, community and political activists, publishers and editors, members of cultural and political organizations, community and labor groups, and educational associations.
- Speaking Invitations/Engagements that demonstrate Walter Rodney’s popularity as a speaker and the international audience that embraced him.
- Walter Rodney’s involvement in the WPA and the WPA’s political positions and organizational structure during its formative years.
- Audio recordings of Walter Rodney lecturing at universities, conferences and rallies, including his last public speech given at a rally.